Narration Change Exercise with Answers

Are you looking for narration change with answers to test your learnings? Let’s learn important narration sentence changes that will help you to solve all your doubts and queries.

Narration Change Exercise

Example:

  • Direct: John said to Smith, “I am going to the store for groceries for my family.”
  • Indirect: John said to Smith that he was going to the store for groceries for his family.

Examples:

  • Direct: “I’m going to the park,” said Mary.
  • Indirect: Mary said that she was going to the park.
  • Direct: “I love you,” said Tom.
  • Indirect: Tom told me that he loved me.
  • Direct: “Don’t be late!” said Mom.
  • Indirect: Mom warned me not to be late.
  • Direct: “Can you help me with my homework?” asked Sue.
  • Indirect: Sue asked me if I could help her with her homework.
  • Direct: “I’m going to bed,” said Dad.
  • Indirect: Dad said that he was going to bed.
  • Direct: “I’m so sorry!” said Sarah.
  • Indirect: Sarah apologized for being late.
  • Direct: “I’m the best there is!” said Billy.
  • Indirect: Billy boasted that he was the best there was.
  • Direct: “I’m going to win this race!” shouted Peter.
  • Indirect: Peter exclaimed that he was going to win the race.
  • Direct: “I’m so scared!” cried Jane.
  • Indirect: Jane confessed that she was scared.
  • Direct: “I’m not going to do that!” said Michael.
  • Indirect: Michael refused to do that.
  • Direct: “I’m going to tell on you!” threatened David.
  • Indirect: David threatened to tell on me.
  • Direct: “I’m going to take a nap I must need it,” said Emily.
  • Indirect: Emily announced that she was going to take a nap she must need it.
  • Direct: “I’m going to eat this whole cake!” said Jessica.
  • Indirect: Jessica declared that she was going to eat the whole cake.

Indirect to Direct Narration

Example:

  • Indirect: Mary said that she was going to the park.
  • Direct: “I’m going to the park,” said Mary.

Examples:

  • Indirect: Tom told me that he loved me.
  • Direct: “I love you,” said Tom.
  • Indirect: Mom warned me not to be late.
  • Direct: “Don’t be late!” said Mom.
  • Indirect: Sue asked me if I could help her with her homework.
  • Direct: “Can you help me with my homework?” asked Sue.
  • Indirect: Dad said that he was going to bed.
  • Direct: “I’m going to bed,” said Dad.
  • Indirect: Sarah apologized for being late.
  • Direct: “I’m so sorry!” said Sarah.
  • Indirect: Billy boasted that he was the best there was.
  • Direct: “I’m the best there is!” said Billy.
  • Indirect: Peter exclaimed that he was going to win the race.
  • Direct: “I’m going to win this race!” shouted Peter.
  • Indirect: Jane confessed that she was scared.
  • Direct: “I’m so scared!” cried Jane.
  • Indirect: Michael refused to do that.
  • Direct: “I’m not going to do that!” said Michael.
  • Indirect: David threatened to tell on me.
  • Direct: “I’m going to tell on you!” threatened David.
  • Indirect: Jessica declared that she was going to eat the whole cake.
  • Direct: “I’m going to eat this whole cake!” said Jessica.

Change of Person

Example:

  • Direct: “They are going to the store to purchase perfumes.,” said John.
  • Indirect: John said that they were going to the store to purchase perfumes.

Change of Tense

Example:

  • Direct: John said to Smith, “I am going to the store with Joe.”
  • Indirect: John said to Smith that he was going to the store with Joe.

Examples:

  • Direct: “I went to the stadium to enjoy a cricket match yesterday,” said Mary.
  • Indirect: Mary said that she had gone to the stadium to enjoy a cricket match the day before.
  • Direct: “I will be late tonight,” said Tom.
  • Indirect: Tom said that he would be late that night.
  • Direct: “We have been to Switzerland twice for business meetings,” said Joe.
  • Indirect: Joe said that They had been to Switzerland twice for business meetings.
  • Direct: “I had a wonderful time with your friends at your party,” said Dad to my friends.
  • Indirect: Dad said to my friends that he had had a wonderful with my friends time at my party.

Change of Mood

Example:

  • Direct: John said to me, “I am going to the store alone.”
  • Indirect: John said to me that he was going to the store alone.

Examples:

  • Direct: “I wish I had more money than I have,” said Mary to her friends.
  • Indirect: Mary said to her friend that she wished she had more money than she had.
  • Direct: “I wonder if it’s going to rain today,” said Tom to his mother.
  • Indirect: Tom asked his mother if it was going to rain that day.
  • Direct: “You should be more careful,” said Sue.
  • Indirect: Sue advised me to be more careful.
  • Direct: “I’m so sorry that I hurt you,” said Dad to his son.
  • Indirect: Dad apologized to his son for hurting me.

More Complex Exercises

  • Direct: “I’m going to the store to buy some milk,” said John. “Would you like anything?”
  • Indirect: John said that he was going to the store to buy some milk and asked if I would like anything.
  • Direct: “I’m so glad to see you!” said Mary. “I haven’t seen you in ages.”
  • Indirect: Mary expressed her joy at seeing me and said that she hadn’t seen me in a long time.
  • Direct: “Don’t you just love the weather today?” said Tom. “It’s perfect for a picnic.”
  • Indirect: Tom asked if I didn’t just love the weather that day and said that it was perfect for a picnic.
  • Direct: “I’m so tired,” said Sue. “I could sleep for a week.”
  • Indirect: Sue complained that she was tired and said that she could sleep for a week.
  • Direct: “I’m so sorry for being late back home,” said Dad. “I got stuck in traffic.”
  • Indirect: Dad apologized for being late back home and explained that he had gotten stuck in traffic.
  • Alright, let’s get started with the first set of 10 examples:
  • Direct: He said, “I am going to the store.”
  •    Indirect: He said that he was going to the store.
  • Direct: She said, “I have finished my homework.”
  •    Indirect: She said that she had finished her homework.
  • Direct: “Don’t touch that,” he said to her.
  •    Indirect: He told her not to touch that.
  • Direct: “I will meet you at the park,” said Tom.
  •    Indirect: Tom said that he would meet me at the park.
  • Direct: “I can’t believe it,” she exclaimed.
  •    Indirect: She exclaimed in disbelief.
  • Direct: “Please close the door,” he requested.
  •    Indirect: He requested to close the door.
  • Direct: “We have been working hard,” they mentioned.
  •    Indirect: They mentioned that they had been working hard.
  • Direct: “Let’s go for a walk,” suggested Jane.
  •    Indirect: Jane suggested going for a walk.
  • Direct: “I didn’t eat breakfast,” he admitted.
  •    Indirect: He admitted that he hadn’t eaten breakfast.
  • Direct: “Why did you do that?” she asked him.
  • Indirect: She asked him why he had done that.

I hope these exercises are helpful!

You can also learn complete course on:

Previous Post Next Post