What are the 20 examples of indirect speech?

Here are 20 examples of indirect speech:

  1. Direct: “I’m going to the store,” said Alice.

Indirect: Alice said that she was going to the store.

  1. Direct: “This is my book,” said Mary.

Indirect: Mary said that that was her book.

  1. Direct: “I’m so excited to see you!” said Bob.

Indirect: Bob said that he was so excited to see me.

  1. Direct: “Please don’t be late,” said my mother.

Indirect: My mother asked me please not to be late.

  1. Direct: “Can I help you with anything?” said the shop assistant.

Indirect: The shop assistant asked me if she could help me with anything.

  1. Direct: “I’m sorry I’m late,” said John.

Indirect: John apologized for being late.

  1. Direct: “You’re the best friend anyone could ask for,” said Sarah.

Indirect: Sarah told me that I was the best friend anyone could ask for.

  1. Direct: “I’m so proud of you,” said my father.

Indirect: My father told me that he was so proud of me.

  1. Direct: “I’m not sure if I can make it to the party,” said Lisa.

Indirect: Lisa said that she wasn’t sure if she could make it to the party.

  1. Direct: “I’ll be there as soon as I can,” said David.

Indirect: David said that he would be there as soon as he could.

  1. Direct: “I don’t think I’m going to be able to finish this project on time,” said my colleague.

Indirect: My colleague told me that she didn’t think she was going to be able to finish the project on time.

  1. Direct: “I’m really sorry I forgot your birthday,” said my friend.

Indirect: My friend apologized for forgetting my birthday.

  1. Direct: “I’d love to go on vacation with you,” said my sister.

Indirect: My sister told me that she would love to go on vacation with me.

  1. Direct: “I’m not sure what I want to do with my life,” said my brother.

Indirect: My brother told me that he wasn’t sure what he wanted to do with his life.

  1. Direct: “I’m really happy for you,” said my girlfriend.

Indirect: My girlfriend told me that she was really happy for me.

  1. Direct: “I’m so sorry you’re going through this,” said my friend.

Indirect: My friend told me that she was so sorry I was going through that.

  1. Direct: “I can’t believe you got the job! Congratulations!” said my colleague.

Indirect: My colleague congratulated me on getting the job.

  1. Direct: “I’m so disappointed that we lost the game,” said my teammate.

Indirect: My teammate said that he was so disappointed that they had lost the game.

  1. Direct: “I’m really grateful for your help,” said my neighbor.

Indirect: My neighbor thanked me for my help.

  1. Direct: “I’m really looking forward to seeing you again,” said my friend.

Indirect: My friend told me that she was really looking forward to seeing me again.

I hope these examples are helpful!

Previous Post Next Post