Grammar Correction Rules for Articles with Solved Exercise

If you are looking to learn grammar correction rules for articles, here is meaningful and comprehensive lesson with solved exercise based on conceps.

Sure, here are the grammar correction rules for articles with solved exercises:

Definite Article (the)

  • Use the definite article (the) to refer to specific nouns that have already been mentioned or are unique.
    • Example: I saw a dog in the park. The dog was chasing a squirrel.
  • Use the definite article to refer to nouns that are the only one of their kind in a particular context.
    • Example: The sun is shining brightly today.
  • Use the definite article to refer to nouns that are part of a group or category that the speaker and listener are familiar with.
    • Example: The students in my class are all very bright.
  • Use the definite article to refer to superlative adjectives.
    • Example: The tallest man in the world is over seven feet tall.

Indefinite Articles (a, an)

  • Use the indefinite article (a) before singular countable nouns that start with a consonant sound.
    • Example: I saw a cat on my way to work.
  • Use the indefinite article (an) before singular countable nouns that start with a vowel sound.
    • Example: I bought an umbrella yesterday.
  • Use the indefinite article to refer to non-specific nouns.
    • Example: I would like to have a cup of coffee.
  • Use the indefinite article to introduce new information.
    • Example: I met a new person at the party.

Zero Article

  • Do not use an article (a, an, the) before plural countable nouns.
    • Example: I like to eat apples.
  • Do not use an article before uncountable nouns.
    • Example: I would like some water, please.
  • Do not use an article before proper nouns.
    • Example: I went to Paris last summer.

Solved Exercises

Exercise 1:

Complete the following sentences with the correct article (a, an, the, or no article):

  1. I saw _____ apple in the park. (An)
  2. I would like _____ cup of coffee, please. (A)
  3. _____ sun is shining brightly today. (The)
  4. I met _____ new person at the party. (A)
  5. I like to eat _____ apples. (Apples)

Exercise 2:

Rewrite the following sentences to make them grammatically correct:

  1. A apple is red. (An apple is red.)
  2. An orange is orange. (An orange is orange.)
  3. A university is a place of learning. (A university is a place of learning.)
  4. An hour is 60 minutes. (An hour is 60 minutes.)
  5. An honest person is always truthful. (An honest person is always truthful.)
Previous Post Next Post